Thai Chicken Curry
Chef Owen and Dr. Michelle May
This flavorful Thai Chicken Curry dish is easy and quick to make. The chicken and vegetables are layered with Thai flavors: curry, garlic, lemongrass, and coconut milk.
For best results when slicing chicken, partially freeze it first then slice it against the grain crosswise, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Thinly sliced chicken has lots of surface area for sauce. However, it cooks very quickly so you don’t want to let it become dry; it only takes about 1 – 2 minutes per side!
To us, one of the best ways to make “nutritious taste delicious” is by experimenting with ethnic flavors like these.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced (see Chef Notes)
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 red pepper, sliced
1 cup baby carrots, sliced on a diagonal
2 tablespoons red curry paste (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon lemongrass paste (found in the produce section)
1 cup chicken stock, homemade or store brought
3/4 cup coconut milk
- Heat sauté pan on medium high. When pan is hot, add 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- Add the chicken in batches; do not overcrowd. When the chicken releases from the pan, turn it over. Be careful not to overcook the chicken; it only takes about 1 – 2 minutes per side!
- When chicken is cooked (it will look opaque), remove it from the pan to paper towels to drain. Repeat with remaining batch(es).
- Add remaining oil to the pan. When hot, add the carrots and peppers. Sauté until vegetables are soft (approximately 4 minutes).
- Add the curry paste, garam masala, garlic, and lemongrass paste to the vegetables. Cook until fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock and deglaze the pan.
- Return the chicken to the pan and reheat.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until heated through.
- Serve over your favorite rice (the picture shows it over green herbed rice). Brown rice or jasmine rice work well, or try it with our recipe for coconut rice.
If you like this recipe, you’ll love this Wicked Thai Soup.
Your journey is unique so we provide options to explore mindful eating in a way that meets your needs.