1. Prepare the marinade by mixing the first four ingredients in a non-metallic bowl.
2. Cut chicken into 1/4 inch slices lengthwise.
3. Place the chicken in the marinade (the longer the better, up to overnight in the refrigerator).
4. Cut peppers and onion into 1/4 inch slices.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil then sauté the peppers and onion until soft and slightly browned. Be sure to allow the peppers and onions to brown; this caramelizes the vegetables and brings out their natural sweetness. Set aside.
6. Heat one tablespoon of canola oil and sauté the chicken until cooked through, approximately 8 minutes.
8. Serve with all the fixings (see below).
Variations: This fajita recipe is also great with lean beef, pork, shrimp, or seasonal vegetables (peppers, onions, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, etc.)
Serve the fajitas family style with all the fixings!
- Tortillas (regular, whole wheat, or corn)
- Fresh homemade salsa (or jarred)
- Shredded lettuce
- Diced tomatoes
- Beans (whole, refried, or black)
- Shredded cheese
- Guacamole* or avocado slices
- Sour cream