Help Your Patients Adjust to Their “New Normal”
With this training, facilitators can offer the Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating for Bariatric Surgery Program, a comprehensive program that provides the behavioral, nutritional, physical activity, and post-surgical self-care skills and strategies that are essential for long-term success following gastric bypass, sleeve, or gastric banding.
A multidimensional approach to pre- and post-surgical care will:
- Improve your outcomes
- Decrease complications
- Increase patient satisfaction
Bariatric Surgery and Mindful Eating
The comprehensive Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating for Bariatric Surgery utilizes the Mindful Eating Cycle model to prevent, identify, and resolve the mindless habits and emotional eating issues that lead to maladaptive eating and other problems after bariatric surgery.
Mindfulness is beneficial because it teaches us to focus our attention and awareness on what is happening right now, which in turn, helps us disengage from habitual, unsatisfying, and unskillful habits and behaviors. Specifically, mindful eating skills help resolve the mindless habits and emotional eating issues that lead to problems after bariatric surgery, including:
- Eating too quickly, taking large bites, or not chewing thoroughly
- Eating mindlessly while distracted, leading to over-consumption
- Not savoring food and therefore having difficulty feeling satisfied with small volumes of food
- Eating too much, leading to discomfort, vomiting, and/or distention of the pouch
- Grazing throughout the day and/or eating “slider” foods and high-calorie soft foods and liquids
- Struggling with emotional eating
- Not consuming enough protein or nutrient-rich foods
- Feeling guilty, deprived, or left-out in social situations
- Struggling to establish consistent, joyful physical activity
- Difficulty adjusting to life after bariatric surgery
More Details and Registration
Complete the form on the right to download the complete Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating for Bariatric Surgery Facilitator Training Information Packet. This packet has all the details you’ll need including FAQs and registration links.
Can I earn continuing education for this training?
What is included and how do I get started?
What do other health and wellness professionals say about this training?
 Michelle May, MD; Margaret M. Furtado, MS, RD, LDN; and Lisbeth B. Ornstein, PhD. The Mindful Eating Cycle: Preventing and Resolving Maladaptive Eating after Bariatric Surgery. Bariatric Times. 2014;11(2):8-12.