In Self-Acceptance Step 2: Accept Yourself As You Are Right Now, we talked about how to overcome the barriers that keep us from accepting ourselves as we are. But who are you?
No matter how closely your body conforms (or doesn’t conform) to the cultural ideal, you are more than a body! Take time to do some soul-searching and discover who you really are. I recommend exploring some of these topics in a journal. (Don’t be modest! Let yourself shine!)
- What (non-physical) attributes do you like or appreciate about yourself?
- What are your values?
- What are your aspirations?
- What do you like to do?
- What are you good at?
- What comes naturally to you that is difficult for others?
- What do you want to learn?
- What do you really care—or even feel passionately—about?
Take the time to really get to know the person you spend the most time with. You might realize that it is pretty easy to love the one you’re with!
Please comment: What might happen if you focused on these instead of putting your life on hold until you reach some arbitrary standard of beauty or health?
Up next: Step 4: Get Connected