Taco Salad Lettuce Wraps
by Chef Owen May and Dr. Michelle May
What do you get when you cross two family favorites: taco salad and lettuce wraps? A Taco Salad Lettuce Wrap that you can eat with your hands!
How to cut an avocado: Cut avocado in half around the pit. Twist the two halves and separate. Tap the pit with your knife and twist knife gently to remove the pit. You can slice or dice the avocado in the skin and scoop out with a spoon.
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 package of your favorite taco seasoning mix
1 head of butter lettuce
Garlic salt to taste
Your favorite corn tortilla chips (optional)
- Cook ground beef according to the directions on the taco seasoning mix.
- Remove the leaves from the head of butter lettuce, being careful to keep the leaves whole. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Cut the avocado in half; remove the large seed; peel, and mash with a fork. Season with garlic salt to taste.
- Place lettuce leaves on a platter or on individual plates so each leaf forms a cup. (You can substitute iceberg lettuce or any lettuce leaves that form a cup. Romaine lettuce also work well but they form a taco shape instead.)
- Spoon the seasoned ground beef into each lettuce cup. Top with your favorite brand of salsa and mashed avocado. Sprinkle a few corn tortilla chips on top if desired.
Your journey is unique so we provide options to explore mindful eating in a way that meets your needs.