Roasted Beet Salad with Feta and Walnuts
Chef Owen May and Dr. Michelle May
When it’s hot, there’s nothing better than a main dish salad featuring seasonal vegetables, cheese, and nuts! This is one of our favorite combinations because of the gorgeous colors and wonderful flavors.
When it’s hot outside, you may want to roast the beets in a closed outdoor grill. After they’re cooked, you can also slice them and put them on the grill to grill-mark them. To peel beets, allow them to cool then strip off the tough outer later using a peeler or paring knife. Warning! Red beet juice is used to dye fabrics; working with red beets will stain your hands and any absorbent surfaces! Wear gloves or peel them under cold running water to minimize “bleeding.” Use glass or metal surfaces for cutting cooked red beets.
Beets are available in a variety of colors – yellow, gold, red, pink, and even striped! Roasting them brings out the natural sweetness of the beets. What a tasty way to boost your vegetable intake! (Reserve the beet greens and sauté with olive oil and minced garlic for another meal.)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon champagne vinegar
1/4 teaspoon each dried parsley and basil
1/2 teaspoon honey
Salt and pepper to taste
Roasted Beet Salad
3 beets, roasted and peeled (see Chef Notes)
8 cups mixed greens
1/4 cup toasted walnuts
1/4 cup feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash beets and slice off the tops and greens. Wrap in foil and bake 45-55 minutes (depending on the size) until cooked through. They will feel soft.
- Allow beets to cool (or refrigerate overnight). Peel them and cut them into wedges, slices, or 1/2 inch chunks.
- While beets are cooking, mix the dressing ingredients in a jar or whisk together in the bowl you’re going to make the salad in.
- Toss the greens with the dressing and place on plates. (Four plates for side salads, two for entree salads.)
- Add the beets to the bowl and toss to coat lightly with remaining dressing. Place on top of greens.
- Sprinkle feta cheese and walnuts on top.
- Add sea salt and ground pepper to taste.
Your journey is unique so we provide options to explore mindful eating in a way that meets your needs.