Meatloaf Italian Style
Chef Owen May and Dr. Michelle May
Meatloaf is classic comfort food! Perhaps you already have a favorite family recipe for meatloaf. Here’s ours!
Save time and top your meatloaf with jarred pasta sauce. We love Ragu Garden Vegetable because it has chunks of vegetables and great flavor.
Serve with a side of vegetables – we love thinly sliced zucchini, onions, garlic, and tomatoes or red peppers sauteed in a little olive oil. Yum!
1 16-ounce package ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 large red pepper, finely diced
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 cup cooked brown rice
Jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sauté onions and peppers.
- In the meantime, combine seasonings, garlic, tomato sauce, and egg whites in a large bowl.
- Add the sauté onions, peppers, and cooked rice and mix thoroughly.
- Add ground beef and mix together.
- Place mixture into a greased loaf pan or shape into a loaf on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 45 minutes (longer if necessary to cook through).
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve slices topped with pasta sauce.
Your journey is unique so we provide options to explore mindful eating in a way that meets your needs.