Chipotle Portobello Burgers
by Chef Owen May and Michelle May, M.D.
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of pureed chipotle (see instructions below for preparing the puree)
1 ½ pounds 95% lean ground beef
1 tablespoon steak seasoning
4 slices red onion slices
2 Portobello mushroom caps
4 slices tomato
4 green leafy lettuce leaves
4 hamburger rolls
- Prepare aioli in advance or while burgers are on the grill.
- Puree one 4-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a blender until a paste forms.
- Combine just 1 teaspoon of the chipotle puree with the light mayonnaise to make the spicy Chipotle Aioli.
- Store the remaining aioli in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Heat grill to medium. (See companion story for food safety and grilling tips.)
- Combine ground beef, egg, and steak seasoning. Form four patties. Refrigerate or grill immediately.
- Place patties, mushroom caps, and onions on the grill.
- Grill burgers until they reach an internal temperature of 160°F.
- Grill mushrooms and onions for approximately three minutes on each side until soft. Remove from the grill
- Separate onion into rings and slice each mushroom cap into six strips.
- Lightly toast buns on the grill, cut side down.
- Spread 2 teaspoons of Chipotle Aioli on each of the bottom buns and set a grilled patty on top.
- Top each burger with grilled onion rings and three strips of mushroom. Top with lettuce and tomato.
Your journey is unique so we provide options to explore mindful eating in a way that meets your needs.