Black Bean Soft Tacos with Peppers and Avocado
by Chef Owen May and Dr. Michelle May
If you are busy like me, you need a few easy dishes that you can put together quickly. These soft tacos are perfect for a flavorful, colorful, nutrient-rich meal that everyone in the family will love!
1 tablespoon of canola or corn oil
1 red pepper, cut in strips
1 yellow pepper, cut in strips
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 white or red onion, thinly sliced
1 can whole black beans
1 small can of diced green chilies
I avocado, sliced
6 small tortillas, corn or flour
Optional: Shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, salsa, grilled chicken, steak, or fish
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add peppers and onions. Cook until softened then add garlic. (Add a little water if pan becomes too dry.)
- Heat black beans and green chilies in a sauce pan.
- Heat the stack of tortillas for one minute in the microwave.
- Assemble soft tacos with black beans, sauteed peppers, and sliced avocados.
- Optional: Add grilled chicken, steak, or fish. Garnish with shredded cheese, lettuce, and salsa.
Your journey is unique so we provide options to explore mindful eating in a way that meets your needs.