Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes: A Mindful Eating Program for Sports and Life
Michelle May, M.D.
Katie Jeffrey, MS, RDN, CSSD
Nourish and fuel your body for optimal health, athletic performance, and life!
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes: A Mindful Eating Program for Sports and Life is a non-diet, weight-neutral, mindfulness-based approach to empower athletes to take charge of their decisions about nourishing, fueling, and hydrating their bodies for training, competition, recovery, rest, health, and self-care.
The challenge that many athletes face is determining how to nourish, fuel, and hydrate their bodies in a way that allows them to excel at their sport while balancing their natural need to eat for enjoyment. Athletes commonly struggle with one of more of these issues:
- Not having enough nutrition information, resulting in suboptimal sports performance.
- Having too much nutrition knowledge from myriad sources, leading to uncertainty about what information is factual and confusion about which guidelines to follow.
- Wanting to eat healthfully but struggling with his/her relationship with food.
Mindful eating is an inside-out approach that guides athletes to apply the recommendations to their particular sport, lifestyle, food preferences, training regimen, and environmental conditions. Using awareness and curiosity, the athlete learns to notice and test their body’s responses to determine what works best for them.
Why do athletes need another book about nutrition?
They don’t! But they just might need a book about eating.
Delving far beyond the obvious advice of “eat to fuel your body for peak performance.” Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes explores the Mindful Eating Cycle and the bio-psycho-social drivers of each decision point. It guides athletes to:
- Re-establish hunger as their primary cue for eating
- Recognize their triggers for overeating and/or underfueling
- Understand how to apply scientifically-based sports nutrition guidelines to their specific needs
- Learn to balance eating for enjoyment and nourishment
- Find a healthy balance between training, recovery, and rest for optimal athletic performance, and enjoyable, sustainable physical activity for health and well-being.
Resolve your love-hate relationship with food!
Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat for Athletes, based on the Am I Hungry?® Mindful Eating Program, provides a powerful and universal approach to the complex issues contributing to problematic eating behaviors that can hamper athletic performance. With this book, athletes will:
- Increase their motivation, self-efficacy, and conscious decision-making.
- Develop effective thinking patterns, emotional responses and behaviors around eating, hydration, physical activity, health, and self-care.
- Manage their food intake based on both internal cues of hunger and satiety and scientifically-based sports nutrition guidelines.
- Recognize and reduce triggers for overeating and undereating/underfueling.
- Improve nutrition through balance, variety, and moderation.
- Find a healthy balance between training, recovery, and rest.
- Develop personalized skills and strategies that support lasting change.
Interested? Fill out the sidebar on the right and we’ll let you know as soon as this book is available!