About the Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Cycle
Mindful eating is an ancient practice with profound applications in our current food-abundant environment. The Mindful Eating Cycle provides the necessary structure for learning how to apply the concepts to all aspects of eating, beginning with why you eat in the first place all the way through understanding where you invest the energy you’ve consumed.
Am I Hungry?
Although it is a deceptively simple title, the question “Am I hungry?” opens the door to understanding why, when, what, how, and how much you eat, and where you invest your energy. All of the Am I Hungry?® Mindful Eating Programs use the Mindful Eating Cycle, a simple model developed by founder Michelle May MD, to help you become aware and in charge of the hundreds of eating decisions you make every day. (To learn more, download the first chapter of Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat by filling out the form in the sidebar.)
Here are some examples of the questions the Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Cycle will help you answer.
Why? Why do I eat?
- Why do I think I eat?
- Am I really aware of all the situations and/or emotions that trigger me to want to eat when I’m not hungry?
- Do I find myself eating even though I said I wouldn’t? Why?
- Have I tried a lot of diets? What happened? How did they work for me long term? Why?
When? When do I eat?
- How often do I feel like eating? Why?
- How do I know if I’m hungry?
- Can I tell the difference between physical hunger and head hunger?
- How could I redirect my attention away from food until I’m hungry?
- What could I do to cope better with my emotional triggers for eating when I’m not hungry?
- When does “I want a brownie” really mean “I want a break”?
What? What do I eat?
- What do I eat in a typical day?
- Would an Awareness Journal help me recognize patterns?
- What types of foods do I feel like eating when I’m eating for emotional reasons? Why?
- Do I restrict myself from eating certain foods, then later give in and overeat those foods?
- Do I feel guilty when I eat?
- Am I afraid of losing control when I eat certain foods?
- What health issues do I need to be aware of when deciding what to eat?
- What could I eat that would help me feel better and become healthier?
- Are there any areas of my diet that I could improve right now?
- What specific change would I like to make at this time?
- What kind of foods could I keep on hand to eat when I’m hungry?
- How could I make the perfect food choice every time to satisfy both my body and my mind?
- Is it really possible to eat anything but not everything?
How? How do I eat?
- Do I eat while I’m distracted?
- Do I truly eat as though I love food?
- Do I eat fast, barely tasting my food?
- Do I eat differently in private than I do in public?
- Could I write an article for a gourmet magazine about the last meal I ate?
How Much? How much do I eat?
- How do I feel when I’m done eating?
- Do I like the way I feel?
- Do I feel compelled to clean my plate?
- If I’m not hungry when I start eating, how do I know when to stop?
- What situations or emotions trigger me to overeat?
- What could I do to address my triggers for overeating more effectively?
- What do I do after those times I eat too much anyway?
Where? Where do I invest the energy I consume?
- Am I physically active?
- Do I watch too much TV or spend too much free time in front of the computer?
- How do I feel about exercise?
- Do I exercise? What do I like to do?
- Do I use exercise to punish myself for eating or to earn the right to eat?
- What else do I do with my energy (i.e. play with my children; work on my hobbies; volunteer; travel; spend time with friends…)?
- Is there anything else I’d like to do that I’m not doing now?
- What are my goals for my relationships, my career, and my life?
- Do I practice regular and meaningful self-care in order to buffer myself from life stress?
- Does my life reflect wellness and wholeness in body, mind, heart and spirit?
Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Programs teach you how to use the Mindful Eating Cycle to be in charge of every decision you make without having to resort to rules and restriction. As a result, you’ll experience:
- Freedom from dieting and overeating
- A positive, peaceful, and enjoyable relationship with food and physical activity
- A renewed sense of wellness and wholeness
It’s time to live the full, vibrant life you crave!
Learn how the Mindful Eating Cycle can help you resolve overeating and restrictive eating! Download the first chapter of Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat by filling out the form in the sidebar.
Find the Am I Hungry? Mindful Eating Program that is right for you.