(This is the 5th FreeTreat activity in our stay-at-home-retreat e-book – download it free here. It is based on Chapter 8 of Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat.)The goal of this activity is to release stress and tension by creating an opportunity to relax your body and your mind.
- Schedule uninterrupted time for this meditation. Save reading or watching TV for another time; this experience is all about sensory awareness and relaxation.
- Listen to the splashing as you run the water in your bath tub.
- Add your favorite bubbles, salts, and/or oils. Pay attention as the aromas fill the room.
- Light candles (the more the better!) and notice the calming glow and flickering.
- If you’d like, add soothing music to further enhance the relaxing experience.
- Have a clean, fluffy towel waiting for you when you get out.
- Enter the water, and rest your back on the side of the bath tub. You may want to place a washcloth or towel behind your back to make you more comfortable.
- Begin breathing deeply, observing the air moving in and out of your body.
- Wiggle your toes in the water and feel the sensation of the warm liquid and bubbles touching your skin.
- Observe any tension you feel in your body and release it into the warm bath water.
- Thoughts may arise as you practice this meditation. Observe them briefly without judgment, then allow them to float away.
- When you are ready to end this meditation, move slowly and mindfully as you dry your skin, apply an aromatic lotion. Go to bed or calmly re-enter your life, carrying the relaxation with you.
- Decide whether you would like to treat yourself to this personal spa experience on a consistent schedule.
Reflect on the experience
When is the last time you gave yourself permission to relax and let go of stress? What activities bring you a sense of mental clarity and well-being? Where can you create more space in your life for self-care time?
Need more stress relieving activities? Checkout our FreeTreat stay-at-home-retreat e-book for ideas.
Next Post- FreeTreat Activity 6: Love, Your Body