Zucchini Fritters with Cilantro Lime Crema
These delicious vegetable fritters are great as an appetizer, side dish, or vegetarian main course. The Cilantro Lime Crema highlights the fresh flavors.
Zucchini and yellow squash are very high in water content. Sprinkling salt over the vegetables draws out the moisture and allows them to drain. If you don’t do this before forming the patties, the moisture will be released when you cook the fritters so they’ll be soggy instead of crisp. This technique can also be used with similar vegetables such as eggplant and is important in recipes like Vegetarian Lasagna in which you don’t want the dish to be overly wet.
The Cilantro Lime Crema is also delicious over chicken, fish, or grilled corn (recipe here).
Serving vegetables in creative, delicious ways adds color, flavor, nutrients, and fiber to your meals.
1 large zucchini squash, grated
1 large yellow squash, grated|
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 white or yellow onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 cup panko (breadcrumbs)
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
Juice from 1/2 lime
1 large egg
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 clove garlic
Salt to taste
- Place grated zucchini and yellow squash in a colander; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 30 minutes or longer to drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add red pepper and onions and sauté until soft. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Squeeze the squash to remove any remaining liquid and place it in a large bowl.
- Add panko, sautéed red pepper and onion, and chopped cilantro and combine.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg, Old Bay seasoning, mayonnaise, and juice from 1/2 a lime.
- Add the egg mixture to the squash and stir.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium high heat and lightly oil the pan.
- Working in batches, make small patties (about 2 inches in diameter) out of the squash mixture and place on the hot pan. Cook until golden brown and slightly crisp; turn and repeat.
- Serve with Cilantro Lime Crema.
Cilantro Lime Crema
- Place all of the crema ingredients in a blender and blend together lightly. (Reserve a small amount of cilantro for garnish.)
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve with Zucchini Fritters. You may wish to serve it in a small bowl, as a dollop on each fritter, or place it in a squeeze bottle and drizzle over zucchini fritters right before serving.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.