Grilled Vegetable Pasta Bake
This pasta casserole, comfort food at its finest, is elevated with leftover grilled vegetables.
Stock your pantry with staples like canned tomatoes, olive oil, pasta, and Italian seasoning and you’ll always be able to put together a simple meal! Make a casserole with this basic but delicious marinara, pasta, grilled vegetables, and whatever else you have in the refrigerator or freezer. Create your own combo with these other ideas: vegetables such as peas, carrots, artichoke hearts, black olives, capers, roasted red peppers, fresh peppers, mushrooms, eggplant; cheeses such as feta cheese or ricotta; protein such as chicken, ground beef or turkey, tuna, white beans… you get the idea!
Whole wheat pasta and vegetables bump up the fiber and nutrient intake over regular pasta and sauce! Grilled vegetables are really flavorful so you don’t need as much sausage or cheese to make a tasty dish everyone will love. If you don’t want to use pasta, add extra layers of grilled vegetables.
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
2 Italian sausages, cooked, drained, and sliced (optional)
6 cups cooked pasta (white or whole wheat, penne or rotini)
1 each yellow squash and zucchini, sliced lengthwise and grilled (or other grilled vegetables such as peppers, eggplant, mushrooms, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Heat saucepan on medium high. When hot, add olive oil, then the onions. Sauté for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and Italian seasoning. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and tomato sauce. Turn heat down to medium and simmer 30 minutes.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Layer half of the pasta, grilled vegetables, sauce, sausage (optional), and cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese (we don’t add a second layer of sausage to ours because it just isn’t necessary).
- Bake for 30 minutes.