Mediterranean Small Bites
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
1 clove garlic
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
6 ounces roasted peppers
½ teaspoon hot sauce
1. Drain and wash the garbanzo beans.
2. Place all the ingredients into a food processor and process until a coarse paste has formed.
3. Put into a container and refrigerate until needed.
Nutritional analysis Per Serving: 138 Calories; 8g Fat (53.1% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 423mg Sodium.
Baked Pita Chips
4 6-inch pita pockets
1 teaspoon salt
1. Open each pita pocket and separate the sides.
2. Cut each of the 8 pita halves into 8 wedges and arrange in a single layer on a cookie sheet.
3. Spray lightly with vegetable spray and sprinkle with salt.
4. Bake at 350°F until crisp and golden brown (watch closely!)
1/3 cup Kalamata olives
1/3 cup Greek olives
1/3 cup black olives
2 artichoke hearts (canned, in water)
2 tablespoons capers
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Drain olives and artichoke hearts
2. Finely chop first six ingredients then combine with lemon juice or place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until a coarse paste has formed.
3. Place into serving dish and refrigerate until needed.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 62 Calories; 6g Fat; trace Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0 Cholesterol; 303 mg Sodium.
Bruschetta with Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Cheese
Bruschetta is crisp, baked French bread that is a great base for fresh toppings. Serve a basketful with toppings like Olive Tapenade and fresh ingredients like sliced Roma tomatoes, whole basil leaves and mozzarella cheese.
1 18-inch baguette
2 teaspoons of olive oil
Assorted toppings: whole basil leaves, mozzarella or goat cheese, tomato, pesto, roasted garlic, roasted peppers
1. Thinly slice baguette into ¼ inch slices.
2. Spray both sides with olive oil (you can purchase spray bottles designed for oil.
3. Bake at 350°F until golden brown. Turn and bake other side.
4. Cool completely and store in air tight container until ready to serve.
5. Top with basil leaf, cheese, and tomato.