Hot Off the Grill
Chipotle Portobello Burgers
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of pureed chipotle (see instructions below for preparing the puree)
1 ½ pounds 95% lean ground beef
1 tablespoon steak seasoning
4 slices red onion slices
2 each Portobello mushroom caps
4 slices tomato
4 green leafy lettuce leaves
1. Prepare aioli in advance or while burgers are on the grill. Puree one 4-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a blender until a paste forms. Combine just 1 teaspoon of the chipotle puree with the light mayonnaise to make the spicy Chipotle Aioli. Store the remaining aioli in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
2. Heat grill to medium. (See companion story for food safety and grilling tips.)
3. Combine ground beef, egg, and steak seasoning. Form four patties. Refrigerate or grill immediately.
4. Place patties, mushroom caps, and onions on the grill.
5. Grill burgers until they reach an internal temperature of 160°F.
6. Grill mushrooms and onions for approximately three minutes on each side until soft. Remove from the grill.
7. Separate onion into rings and slice each mushroom cap into six strips.
8. Lightly toast buns on the grill, cut side down.
9. Spread 2 teaspoons of Chipotle Aioli on each of the bottom buns and set a grilled patty on top.
10. Top each burger with grilled onion rings and three strips of mushroom. Top with lettuce and tomato.
Nutritional analysis Per Serving: 599 Calories; 8g Fat; 23g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 94mg Cholesterol; 895mg Sodium. .
Toasted Angel Food Cake with Strawberries
4 2-inch slices of angel food cake
Fresh sliced strawberries
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Grill slices of angel food cake lightly for approximately 30 seconds on each side over hot grill. Broiler will also work. Watch closely!
2. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.