Grilled Veggie Garden
1 Portobello mushroom cap
1 zucchini squash
1 red onion
1 yellow squash
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow pepper
16 asparagus spears
4 ounces Italian, vinaigrette or citrus salad dressing
(Use light dressing if desired)
1. Slice the zucchini, yellow squash and red onion lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices.
2. Cut the peppers into quarters (use the flattest side) and dispose of the stem, white parts and seeds.
3. Remove the stem of the mushroom. Use a spoon to scrape off the soft flutes under the cap.
4. Place all the vegetables in a deep dish and toss with dressing. Marinate for 1 hour.
5. Place directly on the grill or in a grill basket.
6. Grill over hot coals until vegetables are tender and grill marked.
Nutritional analysis per serving: (with light dressing) - 85 Calories; 2g Fat; 4g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 4g Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 436mg Sodium.
Chef's Notes: Grilled vegetables are great as appetizers and make a great side dish. Leftovers are even better on salads, sandwiches, paninis, pizzas, and in pasta. If you are unable to grill the vegetables, you can achieve a similar affect by roasting them in the oven.
Doctor's Notes: Many people who say they don't like vegetables have just never tried them grilled which brings out their natural sweetness.